Digitization, data protection, security strategic planning, security risk management and its evolution
Digitization and data protection
In recent years, the concurrence of technologies such as smartphones, almost universal access to communications, cloud services have made available to us a universe of services whose main fuel is data .
Data protection in a constantly growing digital world
In the last year and as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, this trend has accelerated, significantly increasing the use of online services and the volume of data processed. From a personal point of view, this enormous volume of data constitutes raw material of incalculable value for large service providers who, by applying advanced analytical techniques , are capable of outlining our purchasing preferences, tastes, hobbies, political opinion and even health conditions.
- Hence, we must be very selective when providing our data, always choose trusted services and companies located in Europe and that comply with the RGPD regulation .
- In addition, we must be especially vigilant with compliance with these regulations and monitor possible changes in service models that may affect our data.
- In the same way, we must use all possible means to keep our data out of the reach of “the bad guys” since, although you do not give importance to certain personal data, there are many people for whom your data is worth money.
- Therefore, our advice is that you take care of your “digital self” in the same way that you take care of your “physical self”.
- In the field of your work activity, the digital transformation that many of the country’s companies are undergoing makes the value of data one of the main assets for the growth of a company, so its protection against internal threats and external is, in many cases, key to their survival.
- To do this, together with the technical and organizational protection measures that our company must put in place, it is key that each one of us from our workplace must collaborate in the joint effort to keep the company’s data protected and safe.
Security strategic planning of the company
Strategic planning is a process that helps companies to establish goals and objectives to achieve the established business objectives.
In parallel, strategic planning also helps to identify the various resources needed to achieve goals and objectives.
Today, within any sector, technology is one of the most important levers to be able to control many of the processes of an organization.
Development of a Security Master Plan
It is a reality that any leak of information can cause great economic and reputational losses to a company.
From this point of view, cyberattacks can encrypt a server and cause the loss of all information, not only management, but also the productive layer of the organization, clearly affecting the production rate and the commercial flow between suppliers. /client and supplier client.
This is why a good management of the possible risks inherent to the security of any company begins with the development of a Security Master Plan. Within the strategic framework of a Company, having a Safety Master Plan provides the company with the vision of how? security is important, having clear roles, responsibilities and responsibilities derived from compliance, and how the entire company must be involved in this process, to ensure compliance and success.
Without forgetting that in parallel, a strategy around Information Security and a Security Master Plan will help the Company to identify and mitigate the various risks faced by the different and varied information assets owned by the company, managing to guarantee the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the same.
Also Read: evs full form
Effective security risk management and its evolution
Like any plan, the Security Director is no different, so a prior audit phase is required, in it, the following will be achieved:
- Assess the environment, identifying current risks.
- Identify high-risk areas of the Company, based on severity of impact and likelihood of occurrence (including examination of technical resources, such as electronic security systems).
- After the consulting process, we must not lose focus on the fact that our ultimate goal is to design and develop a plan that allows us to provide a battery of actions, in which to establish priorities, estimate costs in order to generate budgets.
- Finally, proceed to implement risk mitigation measures that can be adapted to the needs of the organization included in the Security Master Plan.
Objectives of the Security Master Plan:
Within this definition, priorities will be established in them; since it is materially impossible to protect everyone against everything; thus, the level of protection will go hand in hand with the classification by criteria of importance that the Company applies to each of the assets.
Including in this section the identification and analysis of potential threats against the Company; as well as the classification of possible attacks or failures, which generally responds to criminal, natural or accidental.
Analysis of weaknesses
Section in which it is necessary to establish a relationship between assets and threats in order to later propose the method or methods of compromising them.
An analysis of the existing security program is carried out to identify any physical, operational and procedural weaknesses that may exist in it, to then identify possible countermeasures that could be implemented to minimize the probability of an incident.
At this point, we must be able to develop a profile that defines the general threats that may affect the Company; as well as a profile that categorizes threats as highly likely, possible, or unlikely.
Select the most suitable ones for its implementation; through a process designed to channel resources to protect the most vital assets against the most likely threats.
The security measures for a comprehensive Security Master Plan generally address the following aspects:
- The elements of an infrastructure
- operational elements
- electronic security systems
- Policies, procedures and certifications
Implementation of Security Master Plan
Having a Security Master Plan, every Company should have the capacity to prepare a corporate guide for the coordinated implementation of security measures associated with the reduction and mitigation of associated risks.
In addition to having a catalog of projects to program and execute, with a defined cost, which will allow budgets adapted to them.
- The programming and execution of the battery of projects will provide the Company with an immediate return through the optimization and increase of security parameters, generating trust not only before the employees themselves; but also to customers.
- With the work on these 4 lines and after the analysis and evaluation of the risks and the degree of technological maturity of the company, we will be able to identify security measures and aspects related to them existing and applied in the companies.
- Then we will be able to establish and define a battery of improvement projects based on the weaknesses detected, prioritizing them for their execution, establishing a matrix of cost versus priority.
The Companies must understand that, within their strategic plans , it is a priority for them to invest time in the preparation and definition of a Safety Master Plan, ensuring themselves through it.
Organizations must invest an adequate amount of time in the construction of a Security Master Plan which must ensure future scalability of the Company in both services and infrastructure, guaranteeing the confidentiality, integrity, availability and reliability of its assets considering emerging internal threats and existing and future external threats.
To ensure success not only in the production; but also in the execution of the plan, it is essential that the Company establishes the same level of importance to all the elements that must intervene in the process.
Also Read: what is the benefit of using digital data