How to Lock or Unlock SD/Memory Card, Methods to Recover Locked SD Card, What are Best micro sd cards
The process of locking or unlocking an SD/Memory card can vary depending on the type of device you are using. Here are the general steps to lock or unlock an SD/Memory card:
To Lock an SD/Memory Card:
- Insert the SD/Memory card into your device.
- Navigate to the Settings menu on your device.
- Look for the option to “Lock SD/Memory Card” or “Encrypt SD/Memory Card.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set a password or PIN for the SD/Memory card.
- Save the changes and exit the Settings menu.
To Unlock an SD/Memory Card:
- Insert the locked SD/Memory card into your device.
- Navigate to the Settings menu on your device.
- Look for the option to “Unlock SD/Memory Card” or “Decrypt SD/Memory Card.”
- Enter the password or PIN that you set when you locked the SD/Memory card.
- Save the changes and exit the Settings menu.
Note: If you forget the password or PIN that you set for the SD/Memory card, you may not be able to access the data on the card. In this case, you may need to reformat the card to unlock it, but doing so will erase all data on the card. So, it’s important to remember your password or PIN.
Table of Contents
What is an SD card lock & How to unlock Memory Card
Every modern SD card has a lock switch on its left side. It is mainly used for write protection when the switch is turned on by sliding it down. When this switch is on, you cannot delete or modify the data stored on the memory card. You can only view the files and any other action is prohibited. This is a great feature, but it can be problematic if you are not experienced enough to unlock the SD card. Locking an SD card is easy to unlock using the solutions we provide here.
If you think that unlocking a memory card is a headache, it is not true. Many people have a hard time knowing how to unlock the SD card. Are you one of those who do not know how to unlock the memory card? Don’t worry because here we present 5 solutions that will help you unlock your memory card.
Top Solutions to Unlock an SD Card / Memory Card
Everyone uses memory cards whether they have a smartphone, tablet, or any other SD card-compatible device. For some reason, the SD card inserted in your device will give an error. Your card is blocked due to various reasons. Sometimes it may be due to the lock switch, but there are also unknown reasons. So, if you are facing any such problem in the future, you should know how to unlock the SD card. Mostly camera users face this problem which does not allow them to view, edit or store a new file on the memory card. To handle this problem, we have prepared this content to help you unlock the SD card.
Slide the lock switch up
Since we’ve talked a lot about the lock switch already, just slide the lock tab up. For your convenience, please refer to the provided image of the Sony SD card. When this locking tab is loose, it will slide up automatically. This means that it has been damaged and you need to replace the SD card with a new one.
Unlock SD card with password
Android smartphone users can unlock the SD card with a password, but how will you get the password? Some online services offer you to unlock your memory card password online. For this, you can go to an expert and tell him to unlock your SD card, but your data may also be stolen. The best option is to use ES File Explorer, see how.
- Run ES File Explorer
- Install and run ” ES File Explorer ” on your Android device.
- Rename the file
- Open the ” System ” folder and find the ” mmcstore ” file . Rename this file to mmstore.txt. This is where you will get the password for your memory card. Enter this password to unlock your memory card when prompted.
Unlock SD card in Windows using CMD
If your phone or camera shows ” the disk is write protected “, then you need to use Windows to unlock the SD card. This is the perfect solution for stuck memory card problem.
- Insert the card : Insert the locked SD card into a card reader and connect it to your computer.
- Run CMD : Press the ” Windows ” + ” R ” key to open the run dialog. Type CMD to open the Command Prompt. Windows 8 users need to press Windows key + S, enter CMD in the given Run dialog box space. Right click on it and choose “Run as administrator”.
- Write Commands: Now, type the following commands one by one and keep hitting enter after typing each command
- Diskpart: List disk (this shows the list of all storage media connected to your computer)
- Select disk #, where # represents the number of the SD card
- Attributes disk clear readonly
- When you’re done, exit the Command Prompt and see if the memory card crash error has been fixed.
Unlock SD card on Mac
Some of you may not have a Windows PC. On Mac, you can unlock the SD card with a disk utility tool. This is not a complicated process. All you have to do is follow a few simple steps outlined here.
- Connect the card : Connect the SD card to your Mac PC. Make sure no files contain ” read-only permission “. A ” Write Protected ” file can affect the entire disk. In this case, change the permission to ” Read and write “.
- Open Disk Utility : Go to the ” Spotlight or magnifying glass ” icon to open the ” Search ” bar . In the given space, enter ” Disk Utility ” and then double click on it from the given results.
- Fix the problem : When the ” Disk Utility ” window opens , choose the name of your SD card. Click on the ” First Aid ” tab located at the top of the window. This will try to fix the errors. Don’t forget to follow the instructions carefully.
Force unlock the memory card by formatting
Your SD card may be infected with a virus when the problem does not go away. Instead of asking yourself, ” My SD card is locked, how do I unlock it? ” Force unlock the memory card by formatting it. Although it will lead to data loss, you can get it back using a reliable SD card recovery tool.
- Connect the SD card : Insert the infected SD card into a card reader and connect it to your PC.
- Open the location and format : Open ” My Computer ” and look for the icon for the SD card drive. Right click on the SD card icon for more options. Click on ” Format ” and in the new drop-down menu that appears, select the option ” Quick ” and then ” OK .”
Best micro sd cards
To choose the best micro SD card for your photography, you need to understand the right size and speed for the camera and the task, as well as familiarize yourself with the different options available. We have selected some of the best micro SD cards on the market for you to consider.
If you need a memory card on a tight budget, you only have to go down a notch from our best option for everything. The Sandisk Extreme has the same quality, but the read speed is about half that of the Pro version, with 90 MB per second. The writing speed is also half. That said, you can also expect to pay around half the price.
Samsung 64gb class 10 micros
If you run out of storage space on your phone or tablet, you’ll want to find a way to get more. One of the easiest options is to insert a microSD card. Unfortunately, not all smartphones and tablets support microSD cards. If you have an iPhone or an iPad, you are out of luck. Fortunately, some of the best Android smartphones and tablets do support them, although if you own a Samsung Galaxy S21, you might be disappointed to see that Samsung has removed the microSD card slot on its latest flagship.
The best thing is that you know well the use of a microSD to get the most out of it. To find out if your device accepts them, check the full specifications of your phone on the manufacturer’s website or look for the microSD card slot on your phone.
Sandisk microsd clase
With cameras with smart technology getting smaller, more powerful and more affordable, even the most casual weekend photographers can fly a camera in the sky to survey the landscape, or film their last mountain bike route with powerful 360 action cameras. Smaller devices allow people to easily carry cameras with them at all times and capture the world in new ways. These high definition videos captured by smartphones, drones or action cameras need solutions to store their incredible images.SD cards, or secure digital cards, are used to store and transfer data. The micro SD card performs the same function, but performs the task in a physically smaller way (a micro SD card is, incredibly, only the size of your fingertip).
Sandisk ultra microsd
Starting at 128GB, SD cards tend to be cheaper, as users tend to settle for 64GB as it matches the maximum capacity supported by most portable devices. In general, microSD cards with an adapter cost less than the equivalent SD card.
SD cards are usually divided into classes, which gives a rough idea of the minimum performance to expect. A class 4 card is guaranteed to perform at least 4MBps, while a class 10 card should exceed 10MBps.Similarly, many vendors report their speeds in terms of the “x” rating, which is a multiple of 150KBps
How to Recover Lost Data from a Locked SD Card
When you have no options left to unlock the SD card, the last thing you can do is format the SD card. In this way, it is unlocked but you will lose all the stored data. What else can you do now? Take it easy because we will tell you the world class data recovery software. Recover it helps its users since 2003. It supports more than 1000 file formats of all kinds. It has gained more than 5,000,000 users due to the performance and features it offers them. Let’s now learn how to unlock a locked memory card using Recover it.
- Run Recoverit : First, make sure Recoverit is installed on your computer. If you haven’t installed it yet, visit the official website to install this software. It doesn’t matter if you are using Mac or Windows, this is available for both. Wait until it installs on your system. When it’s installed, run it.
- Connect and select the SD card : Connect the SD card and select it as the destination location to recover lost data. Click ” Start ” after making the correct selection.
- Scan the location : The software will start the full scan of the SD card. Wait some minutes. During this time, browse the files or pause and stop the scan as desired.
- Preview and Recover : When the scan is finished, you can check and preview the files. Recover the files by clicking ” Recover ” and save them to any other location you want.
FAQ on SD card
How do you fix a locked SD card?
You can apply many solutions to fix a locked SD card. However, when the mechanical lock on the SD card breaks, you can use an adhesive tape. Stick it into the slot on the lock. Now, insert the card and check if the SD lock error is gone or not.
How do I unlock my SanDisk SD card?
Every SanDisk SD card comes with a lock switch on the left side. Slide the lock switch to the upper side to unlock the SD card. Try toggling the lock switch if you face the lock error again. Slide the switch down and leave it for 30 seconds. After that, slide it to the top position again. This will unlock the SD card.
Why does my SD card say it is locked when it is not?
If you have checked the lock and unlock position of the SD card and find that it is unlocked, then the problem is with the camera sensor switch. Your camera will keep telling you that the SD card is locked even when it isn’t.
How do you unlock an SD card without a switch?
You have to take the help of an SD card unlock tool. It is the only way to fix the SD without a switch. Otherwise, you can ask an expert who can do this for you at no charge.
Also read: What is First Come First Served (FCFS)